happiness is homemade, as are all the goodies here

8.02.2012

Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cupcakes





In keeping with this week's roll of reminiscing and looking back on people and places I've connected with in my life, I thought the Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cupcakes would be a good addition tonight. In the last week I've done everything from visit Mammoth Cave to watching some good ol' WWE with my brother to picking up my guitar again. Needless to say it's been quite some time since I've revisited any of those things and it's been a blast to do so! It's also been a hot minute since I've had some Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal. This used to be one of my favorite cereals when I was a kid...well, this and Cookie Crisp, which especially now as an adult I'm having some issues with validating that choice. But C'est la vie, we live and learn. ;)
These cupcakes were a delicious dive into my childhood. The cake is dense, but moist and has just a hint of cinnamon. The icing has little bits of the CTC cereal and is even topped off with some cereal crumbs. The only change I might make in the future is to use a full on butter recipe for the icing and not a cream cheese/butter blend; I think it was a bit too rich this way, but delicious nonetheless!


Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cupcakes

This recipe is adapted from 2 different recipes I found and includes my little spins thrown in. (fromaway.com and yourcupofcake.com) Makes 12 cupcakes. Enjoy!

Cupcake Recipe:

1 3/4 Cup all purpose flour

3/4 tsp baking powder

1 rounded tsp ground cinnamon

1/8 tsp salt

1/2 C 2% milk

A splash of orange extract

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 stick butter, room temperature

2 large eggs, room temperature

1 C sugar


Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with 12 liners.

Whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl and set aside. Mix milk and both extracts in a small bowl and set aside.

In a stand mixer, blend the butter, eggs and sugar for about 3-5 minutes or until combined WELL.

Alternately add the flour mixture and the milk mixture to the batter, starting with the flour and stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl at least once. Do this until batter is fully incorporated and mix on medium-high speed for another 3 minutes.

Divvy up the batter evenly between the liners in your pan and bake at 350 for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. My liners were only about halfway full but these baked into some beautifully domed cupcakes and anything more would have overflowed into the oven.


Icing Recipe:

8 ounces cream cheese (1 pkg), room temperature

1/2 stick butter, room temperature

1 tsp vanilla

3-4 C powdered sugar

About 1 1/3 C Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal that has been finely crushed using a food processor

Additional crushed and whole cereal bits, for garnish


In a stand mixer on medium speed, blend the butter and cream cheese. Slowly add the powdered sugar (I say slowly because powdered sugar can be an evil menace and will explode, be inhaled, be ingested, etc.). Mix in the vanilla and crushed cereal until everything is blended nicely.

Top your fully cooled cupcakes with the icing and garnish with cereal crumbs and/or whole cereal bits.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© Confections of a Modern Woman, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena