happiness is homemade, as are all the goodies here

6.19.2012

Very Vanilla Cupcakes



I'm not sure why I've been avoiding the basics for so long, but before today I have never made a (from scratch) classic vanilla or classic chocolate cake. How on earth has this happened?! Well, to fix this problem right away, I've made vanilla cupcakes with vanilla bean frosting. I have discovered one of the most amazing secret ingredients known to (wo)man - Vanilla Bean Paste. It's much more intense than vanilla extract, but I was looking for a vanilla cake that would stand out from the norm so I am A-OK with that. I incorporated it into both my cake and the icing but depending on your personal preference, it may not be something you're interested in. I was told by someone whose taste buds I trust whole-heartedly that it tasted like vanilla bean ice cream...that being one of my go-to ice cream flavors, I will pass this recipe on with no hesitation!


Vanilla Cupcakes:

3 C Flour

1 C (2 sticks) Unsalted Butter, softened

2 C Sugar

4 Large Eggs, at room temp

1 C Milk

1 tsp Vanilla


Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two 12 cup muffin tins with cupcake liners. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Mix the milk and vanilla in a small bowl (I just used my measuring cup) and set aside as well.

In a large bowl, on medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately add the dry ingredients and the milk mixture (about 3 parts each). With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not overbeat. Remove the mixer bowl and scrape the sides with a spatula & stir to make sure the ingredients are well blended. Fill each cupcake liner about 3/4 full and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Cool in tins for about 15 minutes, remove and cool completely before icing.


Frosting:

1 C (2 sticks) Unsalted Butter, softened

5-6 C Confectioners' Sugar (I probably used more like 4 or so C)

2 tsp Vanilla


In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy. In about 3 parts, add the powdered sugar until well blended. You'll need to scrape the sides of the bowl a few times during this process. Mix vanilla into the frosting and ice the cakes!

3 comments:

  1. Ok, vanilla is my favorite. Want to try these soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Done and done, name the time and place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about this weekend?

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

© Confections of a Modern Woman, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena